Skills on the Go makes sense of mobile technology and gives you all you need to use your mobile phone, iPad or tablet with confidence.
What is it?
This course will help people make sense of mobile technology and give participants the knowledge, skills and practical tools they need to get the most out of their mobile or smartphone, iPad or tablet.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for beginners or as a refresher. It will help anyone who has been given, or bought a mobile phone, smart-phone, iPad or tablet and is unsure how to use it and who would primarily like to use it to connect with family, friends and some organisations.
How is it delivered?
This is a flexible course, usually run over 4-8 hours depending on the group and existing experience or on an hourly basis one-to-one. We deliver in central locations such as a community centre in two-hour blocks or as a half/full day session. One-to-one sessions can be in an individual’s home.
What are the benefits?
By the end of the programme participants will learn the skills they feel they need most for example:
- the basics of smart phone technology and the difference between 3G, 4G and connecting through Wi-Fi
- how to browse, search, and use online services such as banking
- how to create and send emails, and set up/use contacts
- the difference between SMS, MMS and how to send and receive texts
- how to access and use the internet using a mobile device
- APPs (applications)- what they are, downloading, troubleshooting and staying safe
- how to set up and use social media to connect with family and friends and how to use the most popular channels such as Facebook, FaceTime, WhatsApp, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter
- using the device to view TV online e.g. BBC iPlayer
- working with files, photos, videos and music
- understanding GPS and Bluetooth
- how to be online safely and securely
What additional support is available?
Teachers can also help participants set up and maintain new mobile devices.